While the cause of thyroid disorders is largely unknown, there is evidence that certain foods can aid in thyroid function. If you have hypothyroidism, here are five foods to add to your diet:
- Roasted Seaweed: Seaweed is rich in Iodine, a trace element needed for normal thyroid function.
- Salted Nuts: Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, and hazelnuts are excellent sources of selenium, which helps support healthy thyroid function.
- Baked fish: Fish is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and selenium, which both help decrease inflammation.
- Diary: Dairy products like yogurt, ice cream, and milk contain iodine. The thyroid needs iodine to prevent its glands from becoming enlarged–known as goiter. Treat yourself to a low-fat serving of frozen yogurt to get sufficient levels of iodine.
- Fresh eggs: Eggs contain healthy amounts of both selenium and iodine. For the most health benefits, eat the whole egg, as the yolk holds most of the nutrients.