Senior Hunger Coalition
Fighting for all seniors to have access to food and quality nutrition is at the heart of what we do at the Sowega Council on Aging. One of our advocacy initiatives is the Senior Hunger Coalition.
Did You Know:
- In 2016, 4.9 million Americans over age 60 were food insecure. This means they did not have access to enough affordable, nutritious food, putting them at a greater risk for hunger and chronic health conditions.
- Georgia is 9th in state rankings for older adult risk of hunger.
The Senior Hunger Coalition is an initiative that brings southwest Georgia area organizations and businesses together around the shared goal of combating senior hunger. Through innovative programming and partnerships, The Senior Hunger Coalition hopes to ensure that all clients are food secure and expands that commitment to serve all older adults within our community.
The Senior Hunger Coalition’s Goals Include:
- Creating and enhancing our partnerships with other area agencies and organizations who share our goal of ending hunger.
- Raising awareness of senior hunger in our communities.
- Identifying older adults who are food insecure using standardized measurements.
- Creating innovative, sustainable, cost-effective, and outcome driven interventions.
Would you like to get involved in the Senior Hunger Coalition? Email us at: [email protected]