Proper diet and exercise go a long way when it comes to heart health.
The benefits of regular physical activity for hearth health are undeniable. Something is better than nothing, and we all must start somewhere. Even if you’ve been sedentary for years, today is the day you can begin to make healthy changes in your life. A good starting goal is at least 150 minutes a week, but if you don’t want to sweat the numbers, just move more!
Find forms of exercise you like and will stick with it! Over time you can build more opportunities to be active into your routine. Here are some tips for exercise success:
- Dress for success – Make sure you wear the appropriate clothing for your exercise. Proper shoes are a must!
- Make the time – Set aside specific times during the week that is best for you to exercise. We find that exercising first thing in the morning sets us up for most success.
- Keep reasonable expectations for yourself – No one can go from a couch potato to a marathon runner overnight. Start simple and set small goals.
- Make it fun – Enlist a friend, family member or neighbor to participate in exercise with you.
- Track and celebrate your success!
When it comes nutrition, there are hundreds of healthy food options. Below are some of our favorite foods that taste great and improve cardiovascular health.
- Dark Chocolate