As we age, good sleep can be harder to come by. This can be due to a variety of things from chronic pain to sleep apnea to restless leg syndrome to getting up frequently to use the bathroom. If you’re limiting screen time before bed and watching your caffeine and alcohol intake and are still struggling, try looking at the food you’re eating. In this article, we’ll go over some foods that support sleep.
- Almonds have many health benefits, including nutrients and antioxidants. They may even lower your risk of disease like type 2 diabetes and heart disease, but they may also help you to sleep. Almonds contain a lot of magnesium, nearly a fifth of your daily needs, and magnesium is known to promote sleep.
- Turkey is one you may have already known about because of how hard it is to resist a nap after Thanksgiving dinner. This is likely because of the amino acid tryptophan it contains which can cause your body to produce melatonin. The protein in turkey may also contribute to better sleep too.
- Chamomile tea is a popular herbal drink that can reduce inflammation and lower your risk of cancer and heart disease. It may also boost your immune system, lower anxiety and depression, and improve your skin. The antioxidant apigenin found in chamomile tea connects with certain receptors in your brain, and this can make you feel more sleepy.
- Kiwi is a delicious and healthy snack packed with folate, potassium, and other vitamins and minerals. Eating kiwis may have positive impacts for your digestive health, lower inflammation, and lower cholesterol. Studies have also shown that kiwis may improve sleep quality, so they make a great snack before bed.
- Tart cherry juice contains magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and antioxidants and has been linked to many health benefits. It has also been studied for its impact on insomnia, so it’s worth a try to drink some if you’re struggling with insomnia at night.
- Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, trout, and mackerel are very healthy choices in general. In addition, the Vitamin D in this type of fish may also help you to fall asleep faster and sleep more deeply.
- Walnuts are another type of tree nut that may have a positive impact on your sleep. They are a healthy snack with the many nutrients they contain and positive impact they can make on your heart health. In addition, they may also contribute to better sleep because they contain a lot of melatonin.
- Passionflower tea is another herbal tea with many health benefits. It also contains the antioxidant apigenin that helps to calm your brain and may promote better sleep.