Our MissionTo coordinate a system of services that promote the well-being and independence of older and disabled Georgians, helping them achieve healthy and self-sufficient lives.
The Sowega Council on Aging –has been a trusted nonprofit organization since 1966. We provide unbiased information, programs and services to more than 60,000 seniors and disabled adults annually in 14 counties across southwest Georgia. We promote the independence, health, and dignity of older adults in-need through compassion, education, and advocacy.
The Albany-Dougherty Council on Aging was incorporated in 1966. In 1979, to reflect the 14-county service area -a 6,000 square mile region- the name was changed to the Sowega (Southwest Georgia) Council on Aging.
The Sowega Council on Aging operates as an Area Agency on Aging (AAA) and as an Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ARDC).
Area Agency on Aging
An Area Agency on Aging (AAA) is a public or private nonprofit agency designated by a state to address the needs and concerns of all older persons at the regional and local levels.
Area Agencies on Aging coordinate and offer services that help older adults remain in
their homes, if that is their preference, aided by services such as home-delivered meals, homemaker assistance, and whatever else it may take to make independent living a viable option.
Aging & Disability Resource Connection
The Aging & Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) is a highly visible and trusted resource for people of all ages, incomes and disabilities to find information on the full range of long-term support options, and:
- Serves as the “no wrong door” for information, resources and services
- Provides information and assistance to individuals needing either public or private resources, to professionals seeking assistance on behalf of their clients, and to individuals planning for their future long-term care needs
- Provides easy access to information
- Offers screening for services and options counseling
- Provides resources and services that support the individual’s range of needs
- Creates a person-centered, community-based environment that promotes independence and dignity for individuals
To find out the latest options available at Sowega Council on Aging, Southwest Georgia’s Area Agency on Aging, call the local Aging & Disability Resource Connection Hotline at 800-282-6612.